The second step is to practice reflection.
New Year’s Resolution Tip #2: Reflection.
What Happens When you Fail to Reflect?
Few of us allow ourselves the time or the luxury of reflection. We are so busy completing tasks that we don’t take a moment to see what is working and what is not working. We are in such a hurry to jump to the next project before fully learning from the last one. Ever considered what happens when we fail to reflect? The consequences are grim.
One possible scenario is getting stuck in a rut. You begin to feel like your life is stagnant and dull and you have no passion, drive or energy. However, when we grow and change, life is exciting and fun. Or maybe you just run from task to task without ever looking where you are going. It is like driving your car with a blindfold on. Imagine what the consequences are of driving with no idea where you are going. You are driving blind! You must remove the blindfold and take a good hard look at where you are going, where you have been and where you want to go.
Schedule a Time for Reflection.
Reflect on what is helping you to reach your goals and recognize what is getting in the way. Reflection is key to learning and growth. It allows us to become aware of what we have never seen before. This new awareness is what leads to change in our lives. In order to see what works and what doesn’t work we must take the time to examine our lives. As a life coach, I use the Socratic Method of questioning to get my clients into a place of positive learning and growth. I am often rewarded with many “aha” moments and phrases such as, “I never realized that before.” Please use the questions below to begin discovering your own moments of clarity.
Ask Yourself Reflective Questions:
- Where am I now (reality) versus where I would like to be?
- What is the gap and what is the root cause?
- What have I done well towards reaching my goal?
- What was a missed opportunity?
- How can I stretch myself a little bit further towards reaching my goal?
- What worked? What didn’t work?
- What did I learn? What does it mean?
- How else can I look at it?
- Where have I failed? Where have I succeeded?
- What can I do to be more proactive in reaching my goal?
- What goals would take me closer to where I want to be or who I would like to be?
Re-examine your Priorities.
Everything in the universe is in a constant state of fluctuation. In order to be successful, we must be open and have the capacity to change and adapt to our ever-changing world. As much as our surrounding environment is changing so are our priorities. Priorities are the areas in your life that are most important for you right now. Sometimes priorities change over time. It is important to evaluate if your goals are aligned with your priorities. To be true to yourself and find satisfaction in your life you must take the time to really understand what’s important to you.
Here are a few reflective questions to ask yourself:
- What are my priorities right now? (Family, Money, Career, Self-Development)
- What is important to me at this time in my life?
- Have my priorities changed? Is it time to make a new goal?
*If you decide to change your goals because of changing priorities that is okay.
Remember: give yourself the gift of REFLECTION!
Ready for the next step in making your new year’s resolution a success? Read Tip #3: Write Down Your Goals and View Them Daily